August 14: St. Peters a heritage site; Winnipeg Stadium opens; Fireman down.

St. Peter Dynevor Church
August 14, 1963 - St. Peter Dynevor Anglican Church on Old Stone Church Road in the R.M. of St. Clements, near East Selkirk, is designated a Provincial Heritage Site. 

August 14, 1914 – Winnipeg fireman Anthony Gallagher (25) dies en route to a call.

The Free Press reported that at 8:45 pm he fell off his ladder truck in the intersection of 
Gallagher was single, a native of Northern Ireland and left behind a brother who was also a Winnipeg fireman. The fire he was responding to was a minor one on Gertrude Street - the estimated total damage was $100.

August 14, 1899 - Le Courrier de l’Ouest, a Saint Boniface newspaper, ceases publication after just a few months.

July 11, 1953, Winnipeg Free Press

August 14, 1953 - The Winnipeg Stadium officially opens. It was slated to close at the end of the 2011 CFL season but construction delays on Winnipeg's new stadium forced it back into action for 2012. Demolition was completed in August 2013.

No comments: