April 24: CBWFT on the air; Red River crests; Wapusk National Park; WAG's first home.

April 24, 1997 - The Red River crests at Emerson at 792.5 feet during the Flood of the Century.

Beach along Hudson Bay
April 24, 1996 - The 11,475 square kilometer Wapusk National Park is created on the shores of Hudson Bay. The name means "White Bear".

April 25, 1960, Winnipeg Free Press

April 24, 1960 - CBWFT (CBC French Television) begins broadcasting at 3:00 p.m. making it Western Canada's first French-language TV station. Up until this time, limited French language programming was shown on CBWT, which now became an English-only station.

Premier Duff Roblin, Lieutenant Governor Errick Willis and CBC president Alphonse Ouimet attended the opening show, a musical hour broadcast from the Notre Dame Auditorium in St. Boniface. It featured the St. Boniface Choir, WSO and singers Rolande Garnier, Paul Fredette and Georges La Fleche. Roblin said: 

"We shall hope that the purity of the language and our appreciation  of the culture will be increased through our enjoyment of the programs which we shall see through CBWFT."

For its first few weeks CBWFT aired commercial-free from 4:00 p.m. to midnight weekdays and from 2:00 p.m. on weekends. Much of the 60 hours of programming introduced viewers to shows that had aired for years in Montreal, but had not been seen here before. This included quiz shows like La Poule aux Oeufs d'or (The Chicken with the Golden Eggs) and five soap operas, including Les Belles Histoires des pays d'en Haut.

April 24, 1962 - The Manitoba High Schools Athletic Association is formed as the result of a provincial study that found a “...definite need for a secondary school athletic association to define policy, standards and participation regulations for all parts of the province and membership should include teachers, principals and inspectors.

April 24, 1931 - Charlie Chaplin's City Lights opens at the old Garrick Theatre.

April 24, 1933 - The Winnipeg Art Gallery opens on at its first permanent home, the fourth floor of the Civic Auditorium

No comments: