November 15: Bishop Grandin Boulevard opens; "Nelson Mac" rebuilt; Binscarth is incorporated.

November 15, 1978 - Bishop Grandin Boulevard and the Fort Garry Bridge are officially opened. The $22 million project connected Pembina Highway with Lagimodiere Boulevard.

Bishop Vital-Justin Grandin first came to Western Canada in 1854 as a missionary and was instrumental in establishing the Catholic church in the region, (also see).

November 15, 2008 - The Canadian Corps of Commissionaires' contract with the city of Winnipeg to enforce parking infractions ends. They had been doing the job since 1955.

November 15, 1987 - The 'new' Nelson McIntyre Collegiate opens. The original building, constructed in 1956, was destroyed by a $5 million fire in July 1986. Nelson McIntyre was chairman of the Norwood School Division who died just weeks before the original school opened.

November 15, 1917 - Binscarth, Manitoba is incorporated as a village.

November 15, 2007 - Margo Goodhand becomes the 14th editor of the Winnipeg Free Press and the first woman to hold the post in the paper's 135 year history. She stepped down on July 31, 2012.

November 15, 1918 - Spanish Influenza continues to ravage Winnipeg. On this date there are 361 new cases and 43 deaths reported.

No comments: