July 29: HMCS Winnipeg; Kildonan Park Golf Course; Emerson's Town Hall.

July 29, 1943 - The first HMCS Winnipeg, an Algerine Class Coastal Escort, is commissioned into service.

July 29, 1921 - The Kildonan Park Golf Course is formally opened. In its first season, June 9 - September 14, there were 27, 074 games played. It is Winnipeg's oldest municipal golf course.

July 29, 2000 - Bob Page dies. The businessman was the owner of Teddy the Chimp, a local celebrity and one-time mascot of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. (Above: Teddy off to Grey Cup from Nov. 29, 1959 Winnipeg Free Press.)

July 29, 1918 - Emerson's town hall / courthouse building opens.

No comments: