June 12: Polo Park Race Track opens.

June 12, 1811 - 116,000 square miles of land along the Red River Valley is transferred to Lord Selkirk.

Polo Park Race Track
Top: Manitoba Free Press, June 12, 1925
Bottom: U of M, Tribune Collection

June 12, 1925 - Jim Speers' Polo Park Race Track opens. The grandstand held 4,500 people and another 11,000 could watch from the lawns.

In 1939 it was host to hosted a Royal visit by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. In 1954 it was sold and the land was redeveloped into Polo Park Shopping Centre.

No comments: