May 4, 1904 - The Town of Pilot Mound is incorporated. The present site is the third location for the community. It moved from the original settlement site at Barbour Lake in 1901 to be atop a nearby natural mound. It moved again in 1904 when the CPR track was laid down a mile away.
May 4, 1977 - The Winnipeg Centennial Library officially opens. It was the city's main centennial project.
May 4, 1836 - The HBC acquires the Red River Colony from Lord Selkirk. Price: £15,000 !
May 4, 1904 - The City of Winnipeg Parks Board buys out the farm of John Smith in the R.M. of Tuxedo for $39,903. It would eventually be known as Assiniboine Park. For more on early parks in Winnipeg.
May 4, 1945 - The Royal Canadian Legion Branch #162 in Langruth receives its charter. For more on the town's war service.