October 24: West End Cultural Centre opens; Pumping Station delivers; Witch's Hut; Pinawa Dam retired.

October 24, 1970 - The 'Witch's Hut' in Kildonan Park opens. Originally called Maerchenhaus, (Fairy Tale Cottage), it was the Centennial Project of the German Canadian community in Manitoba.

West End Cultural Centre
October 24, 1987 - The West End Cultural Centre opens with a concert by Spirit of the West. The former church was the first home to numerous congregations, including the first St. Matthews Anglican Church and the first Elim Chapel. It also served as a Naval reserve hall and Portuguese Cultural Centre.

October 24, 1907 - The James Avenue High Pressure Pumping Station delivers its forts water to fire hydrants around the city. 

October 24, 1989 - Knox Presbyterian Church, 396 First Street, Neepawa, is designated a Provincial Heritage Site.

October 24, 1989 - Griswold United Church, Patterson Street, Griswold, is designated a Provincial Heritage Site.

Gimli
October 24, 1989 - The H.P. Tergesen General Store, 82 First Avenue, Gimli, is designated a Provincial Heritage Site. 

October 24, 1989 - Tamarisk United Church, R.M. of Grandview, near Grandview is designated a Provincial Heritage Site.

October 24,1989 - Galloway Bros. Department Store, 37 Morris Avenue, Gladstone, is designated a Provincial Heritage Site.

October 25, 1951 - The Pinawa hydro generating station is retired after 45 years in service.

No comments: