August 20: Winnipeg Beach founder dies; Polo Park Shopping Centre opens.

August 20, 1992 – The CRTC approves the sale of Moffat Communication’s radio division, which included Winnipeg’s 58 CKY and 92 CITI-FM, to Rogers Broadcasting.

August 20, 1936 - Captain William Morrison, a Selkirk-area pioneer and merchant who became a lake Winnipeg shipping and lumber magnate, dies in Winnipeg at the age of 87.

Morrison was also one of the founders of Winnipeg Beach. He piloted the boat with two CPR executives aboard on the lookout for a cove along Lake Winnipeg where they could create a tourist town.

August 20, 1959 - The Polo Park Shopping Centre officially opens on the grounds of the former Polo Park Racetrack. (For more period photos, see the Winnipeg Building Index.)

No comments: