The Rex, The Starland and the 600 Block of Main

Originally posted April 2008

With the announcement this week that a large section of a block starting at Higgins and Main will be coming down to make way for the new WRHA building, I wanted to go check out the area one last time.



West side Higgins and Main from south to north


West side Higgins and Main from south to north


West side Higgins and Main from north to south

THE STARLAND THEATRE

The Starland began life as the Royal Theatre in 1911. A major addition in 1923 brought it to the size it is now.
















THE REX CINEMA

Built in 1912 as the Rex, (it became the Regent in 1923 and the Epic in 1978). In the 80s it served as an adult theatre. A false front was added in 1938, the original one was said to be one of the 'most splendid in the city'.

A history of the Rex can be read in the city's historic buildings report.









UPDATE
: I think there IS at least some of the original facade under the false front of the Rex !
Check out the facade photo above and the windows at the top:



The top portion is definitely still there as you can see the old windows in the shots below. The newer facade is just built over the windows like a box (I doubt the pigeon is original):







When you compare the original and current facades there are a number of small boards screwed into the current one. I wonder if they might have been those original porticoes covered up ? It seems the larger boards correspond with the the old large windows.

I hope I am there when they start taking the front off.




UPDATE 2 !!! Since I posted those someone has posted the following. These are NOT my shots, they are taken by a local urban explorer. They're in the archway area between the false front and original facade.

The top of the archway:


Image
Window detail:
Image

OTHER BUILDINGS ON THE BLOCK
Remaining detail from torn down building south of Jack's





Jack's



For more images see my flickr albums on The Rex, Starland, Jack's, Main Meats, and their demolition.

3 comments:

rockwife said...

This is really great information you have here! Thanks. Don't forget that when The Rex changed its name to The Epic, it ran the Rocky Horror picture show for years and years! I remember the line ups!

The Bell Hotel has a really interesting history as well, you should look into that.

Cheers!

p.s I'm adding your link to my blog.

http://ibitchabout.wordpress.com/

Unknown said...

I remember these buildings very well, such a shame they were demolished... They had a great history =(

Unknown said...

I remember these buildings very well, such a shame they were demolished... They had a great history =(