March 20: Shaarey Zedek Synagogue; Winnipeg's father of baseball.


ca. 1935 (source)

March 20, 1890 - The first Shaarey Zedek Synagogue, located at King Street at Henry, is dedicated. It served until the current synagogue was opened in 1950. The name translates as "the Gates of Righteousness." Also see this Free Press story.

March 20, 1926 - John W. Harris dies. A draftsman by trade, he is credited with bringing the game of baseball to Winnipeg.

No comments: