January 9: John W. Dafoe; Let there be parks; German Society formed.
January 9, 1893 - The City of Winnipeg adopts the Manitoba Public Parks Act giving it authority over public parks.
Under its first chairman, Edward L. Drewry, the parks board purchased land for what would become Fort Rouge Park, Central Park, Notre Dame park (now Jacob Penner Park), Victoria Park, St. John's Park, Selkirk Park, Dufferin Park, and St. James Park (now Vimy Memorial.).
January 9, 1892 - The German Society of Winnipeg is founded by nine German immigrants. Their first clubhouse opened in 1904 on Heaton Avenue. In 1952, they purchased and converted the former Hebrew Free School on Charles Street into their current club house.
January 9, 1944 - John Wesely Dafoe, (also), managing editor of the Winnipeg Free Press from 1901 to 1944, dies. His house on Spence Street was recently demolished.