January 11: Redwood Bridge opens; Swan River's Star; St. Joseph wind farm; Enderton burns; The Beaver bids farewell.

Redwood Bridge, Winnipeg
January 11, 1909 - The Redwood Bridge, Winnipeg's oldest bridge, opens.

January 11, 1877 - The short-lived Manitoba Herald newspaper begins publication.

January 11, 1900
– The Swan River Star newspaper is started by W. H. Glendinning. In 1920 The Times appeared and the papers amalgamated later that year into the Swan Valley Star and Times which is still published today.


Somerset Manitoba
January 11, 2011 - The first turbine of the Saint Joseph wind farm is put into service.

January 11, 2010 - The Winnipeg-based publication The Beaver changes its name to Canada's History Magazine. It originated in 1920 as an HBC employee journal celebrating the company's 250th anniversary.

Enderton Block Fire, January 11, 1918
January 11, 1918 - The Enderton Building on Portage at Hargrave burns. (Also see here.) The site is now home to the Dayton Building. A new Enderton Building was eventually constructed near Portage and Main.

January 11, 1934 - the Steiman Block on Selkirk Avenue reopens as the Merchants Hotel.

No comments: