January 9: Let there be parks; German Society; John W. Dafoe.
January 9, 1893 - The City of Winnipeg adopts the Manitoba Public Parks Act giving it authority over public parks. Under its first chairman E. L. Drewery, the parks board purchased land for the city's first three parks : Assiniboine Park on River Ave - re-named Ft. Rouge Park in 1905; Central Park on Cumberland Avenue; and St. John’s Park on Main Street.
January 9, 1892 - The German Society of Winnipeg is founded by nine German immigrants.
Their first clubhouse opened in 1904 on Heaton Avenue. In 1952 they purchased and converted the former Hebrew Free School on Charles Street into their current club house. (Photo: German Society website.)
January 9, 1944 - John Wesely Dafoe, (also see), managing editor of the Winnipeg Free Press from 1901 to 1944, dies.